What would you add to Zoo Tycoon 1?

I think there have been a few threads like this but I always find these interesting. Personally I would like a feature that lets you create a zoo map in ‘creative mode’ like you would in Minecraft. You can already sort-of do that out-of-the-box, but you can’t edit the zoo walls or maps size without doing some hacky maneuvers.

1 Like

There are so many features added in ZT2 that I always thought ZT1 might also had… I’ll struggle my whole life with the fact that animals cannot be adopted without a previously built exhibit… And not all fences are for exhibits! :scream_cat::scream_cat:

Secondly, I know the limitations of ZT1 but the waterfalls were a great addition in ZT2… However, several mods made a good work crafting waterfalls for ZT1 :ocean::ocean:

Lastly, It’s such a shame that ZT was never meant to be an online game. Configured as it is, is nearly impossible for ZT1 or ZT2 to be online games. Sharing your zoos and being able to take a look to other’s would be great back in 2000s. Again, the community shared online the files of their parks and I used to download them and sneak a little, but I found annoying all the missing items because I had not the same mods than OP :crying_cat_face::crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

Ah yeah that was definitely the first thing I noticed when I booted up ZT1 earlier this year. Not being able to place animals without fences feels a bit odd. Sometimes I want a bit of chaos without the extra step of needing to break a fence first. :laughing:

Making ZT1 online would be cool. I know that OpenRCT2 gave RCT2 multiplayer to some capacity. If @Gymnasiast comes around, would be interesting to hear how they got that going. Maybe some day we can do something similar for OpenZT.

2 Likes

If I was to list everything I’d add to this game I’d be here all day lmao, but here’s a quick short list:

• A Map Editor: This is probably the largest/most difficult thing to implement out of these but I’d LOVE a map editor to create both new scenario and freeform maps, maybe there could even be compat for usermade content? Oh and also a small thing but maybe a tidbit on the map selection menu that says the location of the map, would be nice for a tad more immersion IMO.
  • Expanded Tank System: There’s so many new things I’d love to see in tanks. More opaque tanks walls, elevation editing in tanks, animals being able to exist in both salinities, a split between the two water types as biomes, maybe even other water types like a deep sea one that’s darker? Loads of things would be cool for this.
  • Better Plants/Rocks: I feel like the plant and rock system is a little wacky in ZT1 and I’d love it to be improved. Like there’s no reason to ever use anything but quarter tile plants in exhibits, and a lot of rocks are broken, IIRC the larger MM rocks are for example. It’s just a bit of a shame that certain foliage are just objectively worse to use period.
  • Expanded Animal Info: This ain’t exactly a new system or feature or anything but I’d love more stuff in the animal info, more eras for extinct species, more locations for animals and plants, and maybe even more ‘favourite’ stuff, like favourite rocks and/or shelters.
  • Removal of time requirements: I know mods for this exist but I’d love an official version of ZT1 to cut this, I like having time limits but I don’t like being forced to wait the time if I beat the scenario before the limit.
  • More Cryptids/Myths: This one feels a bit like cheating because it’s not really a feature per say but the three cryptids and two myths we have in the game already really left me wanting more, mothmen, jersey devils, gryphons, phoenixes, etc. Anything would be welcome.

Oh and Doflopnok but real pls :dodo:

1 Like

…and a lot of rocks are broken, IIRC the larger MM rocks are for example. It’s just a bit of a shame that certain foliage are just objectively worse to use period.

Ohh that’s interesting. What makes them broken?

I know mods for this exist but I’d love an official version of ZT1 to cut this, I like having time limits but I don’t like being forced to wait the time if I beat the scenario before the limit.

I’d agree with this, especially as modders when we need the scenario to test but aren’t keen on waiting. Even having the ability to fast forward would be nice.

More Cryptids/Myths: This one feels a bit like cheating because it’s not really a feature per say but the three cryptids and two myths we have in the game already really left me wanting more, mothmen, jersey devils, gryphons, phoenixes, etc. Anything would be welcome.

Great idea! This might be an inaccurate observation but there don’t seem to be as many cryptid/myth mods out there.

Oh and Doflopnok but real pls :dodo:

I had to look this one up; I had no idea! I love it.

IIRC the larger marine rocks have weird values that makes them wonky when it comes to the Zookeeper Suitability, so you can place them and the animals will be like “hey that’s too many rocks” but still make smiles when you’re placing them for a while.

In all fairness there’s neither as many cryptids/myths that can be made with the ingame animals as recolours, nor that many mods (barring Paranoia at least) that can be ported from Zt2, so for a lot of cryptids and myths it would be up to custom modelers to create them, and most of those tend to prefer working on real animals or objects.

That’s a good point. Hopefully we see more 3D artists make the trip to ZT1 modding from ZT2. Would be fun to see their take on some wild-looking creatures in ZT1.

1 Like

I use the Kids Map for my tests… It has everything already available at the very beginning including research items :smile_cat::smile_cat:

1 Like